POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Apr 2009 11:16:13
Message: <49ef34bd@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Oh that's different here, the government-enforced monopoly that owns the
> wire for the phone is forced to let any other company use it.

So that's what the law is trying to overturn, you see. The law would
basically be saying that the ISP would be able to filter packets from any
other ISP.

> happened quite recently (I think 5-10 years ago in the UK), but now
> there are plenty of ISPs to choose from with a wide range of prices.

And that's *because* of the presence of the law that they're trying to
overturn, you see, that says they have to carry those packets.

> Anyway, if you want to start up an ISP, I don't see any reason why you
> can't, there are enough of them around (in UK and Germany at least).

OK. It used to be more monopolistic a while back. Still is, for some kinds
of connectivity in the USA.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)