POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:51:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 22 Apr 2009 02:22:28
Message: <49eeb7a4@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 02:19:27 -0300, nemesis wrote:
>> And today's
>> Linux noobs just prefer to be underpowered with notepad-on-crack gedit
>> than to be superman with vim or emacs.
>
> I don't really think it's fair to say that only noobs use gedit or kate
> (or whatever the standard KDE editor is, GNOME user that I am) and
> superhuman beings use vim or emacs.
>
> People use the tools they're most comfortable with, and sometimes more
> than one.

Sure, feeling comfortable with a beautiful, more familiar face is a nice
thing to get.  Even if underpowered, like by choosing gedit vs vim/emacs. :)

Not all editing tasks would benefit from vim/emacs -- like short, plain
typing with little editing other than backspace -- but those that do get
a serious boost from a proper tool.

> Hell, at times, I use awk for editing.  If I knew sed better, I'd
> probably use that, too.

Like Perl, they're excellent batch text editing tools.

> People doing change-on-the-fly editing using
> pipes might say that it's noobs who use crutches like vim or emacs.

Batch editing with pipes and sed has no place in today's fast-paced
interactive programming.  I don't think Bill Joy or Richard Stallman
would go back to ed or teco after building their tools on them. :)

> Remember that we all had to start somewhere, and those of us who've been
> in the biz for 15 years or more (which I think is you and me both) tend
> to forget that the landscape has changed in that time.

I think I've been keeping up with new technological advances just fine.
  And yet I don't see any text editing tool marvels as those 2, even in
high end modernese IDEs.

> Our way may be
> better for us, but that doesn't necessarily make it better for everyone.

I don't think so.  The day I can select and copy one long SQL select
query with a mouse just as easily as y} or go back after a search to the
exact point I was 700 lines above with Ctrl+o is the day I'll eat my
underwear. :)

> I also suspect that you - like me - type at a phenomenal rate.

Not at all.  Thank God for superior editing tools. :)

> can't move a mouse that fast, so I tend to not even use menus in GNOME (I
> tend to use ALT+F2 and type the program name in because it's faster for
> me).

I control my Linux box from the always open gnome-terminal.  My regular
programs are always in bash_history, so it's just a matter of Ctrl-R'ing
for them. :)

>  That doesn't mean that for my stepson - who also types rather
> quickly at 21 - is a lesser computer user because he uses the mouse more
> than I do.  He's just got a different workflow for the things he does.

I think he's losing a lot. ;)