POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:49:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Apr 2009 01:16:57
Message: <49eea849@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 02:19:27 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> And today's
> Linux noobs just prefer to be underpowered with notepad-on-crack gedit
> than to be superman with vim or emacs.

Well, hold on a sec - I actually use both gedit and vim; I use gedit
sometimes because I just need to do a quick edit and it flies off my
fingers first, other times I use vim because I prefer its search-and-
replace facilities.

I don't really think it's fair to say that only noobs use gedit or kate
(or whatever the standard KDE editor is, GNOME user that I am) and
superhuman beings use vim or emacs.

People use the tools they're most comfortable with, and sometimes more
than one.

Hell, at times, I use awk for editing.  If I knew sed better, I'd
probably use that, too.  People doing change-on-the-fly editing using
pipes might say that it's noobs who use crutches like vim or emacs.

Remember that we all had to start somewhere, and those of us who've been
in the biz for 15 years or more (which I think is you and me both) tend
to forget that the landscape has changed in that time.  Our way may be
better for us, but that doesn't necessarily make it better for everyone.

I also suspect that you - like me - type at a phenomenal rate.  I've
clocked myself at up to 120 WPM when I'm really in a good groove.  I
can't move a mouse that fast, so I tend to not even use menus in GNOME (I
tend to use ALT+F2 and type the program name in because it's faster for
me).  That doesn't mean that for my stepson - who also types rather
quickly at 21 - is a lesser computer user because he uses the mouse more
than I do.  He's just got a different workflow for the things he does.

Jim