POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 21 Apr 2009 18:00:05
Message: <49ee41e5@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>     I don't like what the ISP's may be planning, but I can't find a good
>> legal or constitutional argument against it
>
> Look under "common carrier". If you start filtering, then you're

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality_in_the_United_States

"Cable modem Internet access has always been categorized under U.S. law
as an information service, and not a telecommunications service, and
thus has not been subject to common carrier regulations"

Citation not provided, and in any case, WINAL.

>>     It's like if I own a store with a bulletin board. I have the right to
>> dictate what goes on there and what doesn't. I could arbitrarily say
>> that you can post anything you want to sell on it, but no postings
>> regarding private tutoring are allowed.
>
> Yes. But then if someone posts up naked children, you are *required* to
> take it down, on the grounds that you're policing the content to start
> with.

	I'm not 100% sure. I would think I'm required to take it down only if
notified of its presence. IOW, I don't think there's any law that states
that I _have_ to actively monitor what goes on on my Web site. Not sure,
though.

--
If a pig lost it's voice, would it become disgruntled?

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl