POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 15:09:18
Message: <49ee19de$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 21-4-2009 17:52, Darren New wrote:
>> scott wrote:
>>> The ISP business is open and follows market demands, they will
>>> provide for whatever the customers want.
>>
>> Not in the USA.  Aren't most telecom companies state-run in Europe? Am
>> I allowed to open a new telephone company in (say) Germany and dig up
>> the road and all, running new wires to houses in new developments?
>
> The way that is handled here

Where is "here"?

> I hope that is more or less understandable ;)

I used to work for the company that provided the shared services to all the
local phone companies that worked this way in the USA (i.e., I worked for
Bellcore). It makes perfect sense.

And if an ISP could come in that could scoop up TW's customers that wanted
unrestricted access and provide it at a lower price than TW's customers
could get it, I'd agree that it's not a big problem. However, I suspect this
new ISP would wind up paying for the cost of the filtering hardware anyway,
since I'm sure TW would include that as "part of the price".  (TW being Time
Warner, my personal local monopoly.)

I'd still ask why anyone thinks allowing this behavior is a good idea for
the general public.

> Needless to say that quite often it does not work as expected.

Tell me about it. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)