POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 22:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:56:28
Message: <49edfabc$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:17:33 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> You also can't expect then for people to be happy and cheery when you
>> complain that they've misunderstood what you said and accuse them of
>> intentionally reading things you write "in the worst possible way" (ie,
>> apparently not the way you intended it).
>
>   I don't expect someone who reads my posts for the first time to
> immediately understand what I mean if I happen to make a less-than-wise
> choice of words.

Just because we expect you to choose less-than-wise word choices doesn't
mean we'll excuse it. ;-)

>   However, when the same people I have been communicating with for
> years do it again and again, and we have had the exact same conversation
> like a couple of dozen times, it starts becoming a bit irritating.

Expecting to keep doing the same thing over and over and get a different
result is one definition of insanity.  Perhaps some of us hope that you
might learn from your mistakes and not make then again.

>   I'm not saying I'm not to be blamed. I sometimes do not think with
> utmost care how I express things, but there's generally no foul
> intention (unless I get trolled, of course). The people here who I have
> been communicating for years and years should know this, but this
> conversation comes up again and again.
>
>   Is it any wonder that I get the feeling that, after all these years,
> they are intentionally picking up the worst possible interpretations to
> everything?

Well, as I said, perhaps you need to look again at how you're expressing
yourself.

Trust me, I take no joy from these arguments, and I frequently hesitate
before writing a response to you because I don't like the way you react
to responses that interpret things differently than the way you intended
them.  Yet sometimes you say things that just shouldn't be left to stand
on their own, so what would you have us do?  Not point out that you're
not being clear?

Jim