POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:39:11
Message: <49edf6af@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   So at which point exactly will it happen with 100% certainty?

> When an infinite number of flips are flipped, and not before.

  In other words, never.

> >   "At infinity" is the same thing as "never" in this case.

> It has nothing to do with "time", so you are technically correct in saying
> that it's physically impossible to do an infinite number of flips in a
> non-infinite length of time.

  Thus the monkey analogy is technically flawed. Which is my original point.

> >> Resolve this discrepency, in your mind, and you'll understand why
> >> shakespeare must appear.
> >
> >   Once you explain to me the discrepancy that an event having zero
> > probability can happen.

> When you do it an infinite number of times.

  But it happens with only one attempt, not an infinite amount of them.

> Do you understand what I'm saying when I say you're confusing unbounded with
> infinite?

  The monkey analogy is trying to make a connection between theoretical
math dealing with infinites and physical reality, which are at completely
different conceptual levels. I do not fully understand the math, but I'm
pretty sure I understand the physical process depicted by the analogy,
and I'm pretty sure the claim is flawed.

--
                                                          - Warp