POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:22:30
Message: <49edf2c6$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   So exactly at which point are the works forced to appear, to fulfill
>>> the probability of 1?
>
>> Infinity.  That's the point.
>
>   In other words: Never. At no point is it forced to happen.

No. You're getting wrapped up in Zeno's paradox here.

>   The analogy is that the monkey will type Shakespeare's work for sure.
> Exactly when is this 100% certainty reached? Never.

Yes. After infinite time. But you're refusing to look at that case, trying
to get to "after infinite time has passed" by looking one second at a time.

Assume you have an infinite number of monkeys, each typing one block of text
the size of shakespeare, and they all finish within one day. Is Shakespeare
in there?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)