POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:15:29
Message: <49edf121$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So at which point exactly will it happen with 100% certainty?

When an infinite number of flips are flipped, and not before.

> What are the exact mechanics which cause it to happen?

The mathematics of infinity.

>   "At infinity" is the same thing as "never" in this case.

It has nothing to do with "time", so you are technically correct in saying
that it's physically impossible to do an infinite number of flips in a
non-infinite length of time.

>> Resolve this discrepency, in your mind, and you'll understand why
>> shakespeare must appear.
>
>   Once you explain to me the discrepancy that an event having zero
> probability can happen.

When you do it an infinite number of times.

Do you understand what I'm saying when I say you're confusing unbounded with
infinite?

Is it possible to have an infinitely long string of zeros? Yes. Is it
possible to program a turing machine to write an infinitely long string of
zeros on its tape?  No. A turing machine can only write an unbounded number
of zeros on the tape.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)