POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:08:36
Message: <49edef84@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> That will only happen if all ISPs work together to fix the prices, which
> is strictly illegal under EU law.

How many network connections do you actually have access to in your house. I
only have a TV cable and a wire for the phone. I could probably get a fiber
installed, but maybe not. And I could probably get a cellular wireless
connection to the internet from two different companies. Everything but the
wireless is a government-enforced monopoly.

Five mega companies aren't a whole lot of choice. Not like newspapers, which
I can get from anywhere in the country and probably the world.

> As I said, there would then be an irresistable opportunity for some
> company to make a shed-load of profit.

Only if you were actually allowed to. Are you allowed to start a new company
that runs fiber into everyone's house?

> Being an ISP is not like, say, providing live coverage of a sporting
> event, there is no restriction to how many companies can offer it.

Are you sure?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)