POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 21 Apr 2009 12:02:36
Message: <49edee1c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Questions such as, "Since when is Internet service a human right?"
>
>   Great, another nitpicker.
>
>   - "Hey, country X does not allow women to express their opinion on the
> internet. This is a violation of human rights!"
>   - "Since when is internet access a human right?"

	That's irrelevant (and at least I didn't invoke it) - what's relevant
is what is considered a human right by the EU.

>   - "Hey, the government is allowing the press to censor political parties.
> This is a violation of basic human rights!"
>   - "Since when is access to paper and ink a human right?"

	Your whole argument is that this case is problematic because it costs
the ISP's nothing extra to provide everything, and so if they start
limiting services, they are actively blocking them. You just haven't
established that there is something legally wrong with that. You've
given some draconian what if scenarios, but some of them are already
protected by existing laws.

	If you just want to say that "This sucks", then I agree with you.<G> If
you want to argue that the Internet is a public good, I can see a case,
but it's not yet obvious.

--
"The security of the Enterprise is of Paramount importance.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl