POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 11:59:53
Message: <49eded79$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Right now, I'm wondering about newspapers. I mean, they very selectively
> report only certain news stories. And some newspapers seem to definitely
> only report information that makes their favoured political party look
> good, or the opposition look bad. Now I'm curios to know whether this is
> actually legal.

In the USA, yes, of course. Except newspapers aren't a monopoly. Nothing
prevents you from buying all the newspapers you want. Not so with high-speed
ISPs.

It's more akin to the government-run post office saying "If you subscribe to
the New York Times, we'll charge you extra on all your stamps."

> (Of course, it's not the same thing as ISP censorship at all. Somebody
> has to *write* the news, after all. And it can be very difficult indeed
> to write in a way which is truly objective and unbaised. But some
> publishers don't even attempt to be objective. Is that legal?)

Explicitly so, in the USA. But then, newspapers don't get to have laws that
say they're the only ones allowed to provide the news.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)