POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 21 Apr 2009 11:58:40
Message: <49eded30$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If an ISP started censoring all websites related to a political party,
> should they be allowed to do that? What if all the ISPs started blocking
> all political parties except one? Should they be allowed to do that?

	Is there a generic existing law against that?

	I believe in the US, if I had a bulletin board in my store, I'm legally
allowed to forbid a certain political party from posting notes onto it.

	Besides, now you're invoking slippery slopes. If there's already a law
against what you state, it doesn't nullify the general withholding of
services. It just outlaws a certain kind of withholding.

	It's the same thing about fair business practices. It doesn't sound
like this law would legalize unfair business (as enshrined by the law,
not by our notions). If an ISP violates it, it can be taken to court.
It's not the case that the laws are mutually exclusive.

	Perhaps I misunderstand what the law is stating. If it legalizes some
of these things, I can see your point. However, if it's a more generic
law, then don't assume things previously illegal are now legal.

--
"The security of the Enterprise is of Paramount importance.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl