POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 11:52:45
Message: <49edebcd$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> The ISP business is open
> and follows market demands, they will provide for whatever the customers
> want.

Not in the USA.  Aren't most telecom companies state-run in Europe? Am I
allowed to open a new telephone company in (say) Germany and dig up the road
and all, running new wires to houses in new developments?

> The point is it *wouldn't* otherwise be available, the ISP is providing
> you a service which you are paying for, if you don't pay for it you
> don't get access to the information at all.

You're not paying for them to deliver the information. You're paying for
them to stop blocking the delivery.

The USA already has regulations against discrimination of various types. I
don't see enforcing this on common carriers as a bad thing.

If you don't want to be a common carrier, feel free to block various sites.
However, you then become responsible for what you deliver, and you become
susceptable to competition.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)