POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2009 11:44:47
Message: <49ede9ef$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> In this context, information is a commodity, the very thing being sold. They
> can chose what to sell and what not to sell, or how to bundle them and what
> pricing levels they use.

The argument is not against people charging for the information. The
argument is the ISP specifically blocking you from buying information
without paying the ISP extra money to deliver it above and beyond what
you're already paying for the ISP.

It's Sony making a TV that won't play NetFlix DVDs unless you stick a
quarter in the slot when you put a NetFLix DVD in the DVD player. You
already paid NetFlix, the studios, etc, and you already bought the TV from
SOny. Why is it a good thing to pay more?

What happens when the ISP starts filtering out access to any web site
critical of the ISP, or which reveals their lobbying information?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)