POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Invisible
Date: 21 Apr 2009 06:53:37
Message: <49eda5b1$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I suspect the ISPs really want to change their eg $10/month plan into
> two separate plans.  Where plan A is $5/month without access to (eg) any
> streaming video or torrents, and then a plan B that is $20/month and has
> access to everything.  That is a proven business model that is more
> profitable, and if they are prevented from doing that at the moment then
> I can see why they want it changed.

More like, instead of $10/month for access to everything, they get to
charge $10/month for access to almost nothing at all, $20/month for
access to slightly more, $40/month for access to everything except
high-bandwidth systems, $80/month for limited access to some
high-bandwidth systems, and maybe $400/month for access to everything
like you have now.

As you can see, they make vastly more profit this way. And if they
introduce the tiers gradually and jiggle them around from time to time,
they can gradually extort more and more money out of people without them
noticing a sudden price hike.