POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2009 06:22:52
Message: <49ed9e7b@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Warp wrote:

> >   If an ISP started censoring all websites related to a political party,
> > should they be allowed to do that? What if all the ISPs started blocking
> > all political parties except one? Should they be allowed to do that?
> >
> >   No, they don't have the right to actively censor information which would
> > otherwise be available.

> Right now, I'm wondering about newspapers. I mean, they very selectively
> report only certain news stories. And some newspapers seem to definitely
> only report information that makes their favoured political party look
> good, or the opposition look bad. Now I'm curios to know whether this is
> actually legal.

  I suppose there's a decisive line when offering information actually
costs money, vs. active censorship.

  If the newspaper would actively censor something which would otherwise
be available (if they did nothing), *that* would probably be highly
illegal.

  Of course biased newscasting is morally quite dubious and against
journalism ethics (which are actually real written texts in most
countries which, while not enforced by law, breaking them is frowned
upon, usually).

--
                                                          - Warp