POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2009 05:48:53
Message: <49ed9685@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >  I'm pretty sure that if ISPs started selling their bandwidth to the
> > highest bidders and blocking the rest, that would break at least a dozen
> > of fair commerce statutes. That's completely akin to boycotting.

> Happens already, here at work we pay extra to get guaranteed bandwidth, we
> have priority over people who pay the "cheap" residential rate.

  You really are the king of nitpicking, don't you?

  Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. Is there something in the
word "to block" that I'm missing and could cause different interpretations?
Because I can't believe you are saying that your ISP is blocking access
to your competitors' websites from its clients.

> >  Because of basic human rights of freedom of information, and fair
> > commerce principles?

> How about the human right to run a company in a way to maximise profits?

  Have you ever heard of the concept of fair commerce? Fair competition?
Monopoly laws? Ring a bell?

> >  An ISP has no right to start censoring information

> You are talking like there is some basic human right that you should have
> access to every single website in existance?  Why on Earth should that be
> the case?

  So you are saying that active censorship is perfectly fine from the
point of view of basic human rights?

> >  No, it's not like that. It's like your local newagent using technical
> > measures to stop you from accessing competitor publications.

> "Sorry, we don't sell that publication" is a perfectly valid and legal
> phrase.

  You really like nitpicking, don't you? You do understand what I'm
writing, but you are deliberately nitpicking, just for the sake of
argument.

>  Same as how in pubs that sell Coke they don't sell Pepsi.  Why
> should you be able to force companies to offer everything, if they don't
> want to that's their choice.

  Clearly you don't want to discuss, you only want to argue. You don't
want to aknowledge you understand what I'm saying, you only want to
nitpick and split hairs.

  Do you understand the concept of censorship?

--
                                                          - Warp