POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2009 05:35:03
Message: <49ed9347@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >> Or do you also disagree with 0.99999... with infinitely many 9's equals
> >> 1?

> No go on, please answer this one, because it's the same thing.  At which
> point does 9/10 + 9/100 + 9/1000 suddenly equal 1?  Answer: when you extend
> the series to infinity.

  I really can't understand why you are so fixated with that question.
I never doubted or denied its veracity. My reply clearly implied that it
is indeed so.

> >  Do you disagree that a probability of zero does not mean that the event
> > will never happen?

> A probability of zero means an event does not happen by definition, however
> if you try an infinite number of times it might not necessarily never
> happen.

  You don't have to try an infinite number of times to get a value from
a continuous range. You only have to try once. And the value you get had
a probability of zero of being chosen. Yet it was chosen.

> A good example has already been mentioned, of choosing an exact number
> between 0 and 1.  The probability is zero for any specific number, but if
> you sum up the infinite number of probabilities between say 0.2 and 0.3, you
> will get a non-zero probability.

  You are not choosing a range of values. You are choosing *one* value at
random.

--
                                                          - Warp