POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives : Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The EU and the "Telecoms Package" directives
From: scott
Date: 21 Apr 2009 05:06:28
Message: <49ed8c94@news.povray.org>
>  I'm pretty sure that if ISPs started selling their bandwidth to the
> highest bidders and blocking the rest, that would break at least a dozen
> of fair commerce statutes. That's completely akin to boycotting.

Happens already, here at work we pay extra to get guaranteed bandwidth, we
have priority over people who pay the "cheap" residential rate.

>  Because of basic human rights of freedom of information, and fair
> commerce principles?

How about the human right to run a company in a way to maximise profits?

>  An ISP has no right to start censoring information

You are talking like there is some basic human right that you should have
access to every single website in existance?  Why on Earth should that be
the case?

>  No, it's not like that. It's like your local newagent using technical
> measures to stop you from accessing competitor publications.

"Sorry, we don't sell that publication" is a perfectly valid and legal
phrase.  Same as how in pubs that sell Coke they don't sell Pepsi.  Why
should you be able to force companies to offer everything, if they don't
want to that's their choice.