POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Weekly calibration : Re: Weekly calibration Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weekly calibration
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2009 16:52:57
Message: <49ece0a9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'd think about it this way: No matter how many times you throw, there's
> *always* a non-zero probability that it will be all heads. At no point is
> tails *forced* to appear by any law of nature or mathematics. (This is
> because past tosses do not affect future ones.)

That's the difference between "unbounded" and "infinite". You're thinking
"no matter how big it gets..." but "infinite" doesn't mean that. Unbounded
means that.

Can you write a turing machine that uses up an infinite amount of space on
the tape? No, only an unbounded amount. Can you have a countably infinite
set? Yes. Hence, infinity is not computable by a turing machine.

As long as you keep trying to do the math in terms of "you compute
successive values", you'll not get the answer.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)