POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 16:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Apr 2009 12:44:12
Message: <49eca65c$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>> Clever people realize not having 3 or 4 common keyboard shortcuts is a
>> lame excuse for not learning the other 80 or so specific features and
>> shortcuts a software might provide.
>
> It's not just the shortcuts, it's things like using the space bar to
> open the context menu, the context menu not following the same UI rules
> as standard, not using standard dialog boxes (did you ever try to save a
> file to a network share in Blender? I tried to type in the path and it
> asked me if I wanted to make a new folder called "\\san1\$scott"!).

Probably mapping to a unit first would work, but yeah, sucks to be in
Windows when most open-source projects are born in *nix. :)

Windows programmers have a closed-source mentality that was never like
in *nix.  They are too busy with their closed-source work projects to
bother to contribute with open-source code and, thus, wanting to run
most free stuff today is a world of pain on Windows because it is very
unlike *nix.

> Fixing these things would take little resources and would generate far
> fewer complaints from new users.

Yeah, I wonder why -- having so many Windows users and some of them
surely being programmers -- no one has bothered to patch it yet.

> I don't care about learning specific shortcuts for obscure operations,
> or learning how to use new features, but having to re-learn shortcuts
> for save,load,copy,paste,undo,redo, learning a new menu system, and a
> new file open/save dialog box is an unacceptable waste of my time and
> memory.

It's still too little to bother, I guess.  You talk like as if pressing
space and being presented with a graphical menu that works like any
other graphical menu you ever saw is the end of the world.  I guess
people just learn the software way of doing things and get work done
rather than fight the software for being so unlike the rest available
for the platform.  Those fighting it surely already migrated to
something else...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9