POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 16:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Apr 2009 12:33:27
Message: <49eca3d7@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> It is very difficult to write compilers that generate optimized native
> code as good as the ones already provided by mature C compilers that
> have been around for ages.

It depends on the language, of course. I'd hate to (for example) try to
compile FORTH into C code instead of native code. Smalltalk would be likely
as difficult. And both the JVM and the .NET system would seem to do a not
bad job. Plus, of course, anything on a new chip is not going to have code
as good.

Sure. Using C as an intermediate language for another language that's
basically C-ish is probably a good idea. I was merely arguing that the idea
that "my language runs as fast as C code" is not obviously true from the
fact that it uses C as an intermediate language.  Using C as an intermediate
language doesn't make it trivial to run as fast as hand-rolled C.

>  Would it be worth the pain generating assebly not as optimized as a C
> compiler?...

You're arguing against a position I never held.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)