POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 10:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Apr 2009 16:19:14
Message: <49ea35c2@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   If I say "vi does not work like most other editors because when you start
> it up you can't just start editing the text right away", isn't it rather
> clear what I'm referring to, without having to write an essay about the
> subject to make it absolutely clear?

No. That's my point. In my mind, I *am* editing text right away in vi. I can
move the cursor, I can insert and delete, and so on.

Unlike, say, an IDE's editor, where first you have to open the IDE, open a
project, select a file within that project, perhaps check it out of source
control, *then* you can start editing the file.

It's hard to know what you meant when the first sentence is "the first time
I used vi, it was incomprehensible how to open a file and edit it."

Yes, you can't just start typing and have what you type inserted in the
text. You *can* move around, and open and save files, and so on. It's a
one-keystroke difference, compared to the major differences you get with IDE
editors or structured editors.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)