POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 08:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Apr 2009 15:14:40
Message: <49ea26a0@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:49:15 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> Perhaps you should go take look in a mirror and consider your word
>> choice.
>
>   I honestly think your "Don't you *dare* tell me that I'm deliberately
> misunderstanding you" was uncalled for.

Perhaps.  In my own defense, it was extremely late and it had been a
pretty rough evening for me.  It was just the "one thing" that pushed me
a little too far, and you have to admit that you do have a habit
(9intentional or otherwise) of doing that - this isn't the first
altercation we've had.

> I was not in any way or form
> trying to insult you (or Darren) in the post to which that was the
> reply, and if you have followed my posts during the years, I think that
> you know that I don't go around insulting people just for the fun of it
> (even if sometimes my choice of words might not be the wisest possible).

Honestly, sometimes it's hard to tell.  I usually chalk it up to cultural/
language differences, but it just struck me wrong last night, and then to
have you follow up with the implication that if it wasn't an "intentional
misunderstanding" intended to nitpick just for the sake of having
something to nitpick (something that, if you've followed my posts over
the years, you should recognise is not in my general makeup and is not
something that I do just for the fun of it.  That's not to say that I
don't like a healthy debate now and again, but it's generally not my
style to twist people's words in order to provoke an argument or debate).

That's not to say that don't occasionally take the opportunity to "tweak
someone's nose", but in those cases I try to be very careful to make it
clear that I am just kidding around and not being serious.

>   The tone of this thread was very casual and light, and such a sudden
> very strong expression of offence was unexpected. I was not trying to
> say anything negative about anyone. It got me rather provoked by the
> accusation (although in retrospect way too much, but I'm just like
> that).
>
>   I admit that what I wrote after getting provoked was also uncalled for
> and not acceptable behavior.

Fair enough, I apologise for overreacting as well.  Nobody's perfect and
all that.

It does really get on my nerves when it appears people are presuming to
tell me what I'm thinking, I put up with a lot of that crap along with
generally being bullied growing up, and it "pushes my buttons" when it
appears people are doing it to me or to others around me - and sometimes
I do react overly strongly as a result of my own personal experiences in
this area.

Jim