POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Body math : Re: Body math Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Body math
From: John VanSickle
Date: 18 Apr 2009 08:28:05
Message: <49e9c755$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/men4060/Pages/beatthebulge.aspx
>
> "You need to burn 3,500 caleries to loose 500g of body fat."
>
> Um... really? I would have thought that the amount of energy you need to
> burn would be related to the amount of energy you consume in the first
> place... no?

A certain amount of body fat is water.  When the fat is gained, the
extra water is retained as well.  When the fat is burned off, the water
is released.

This is why fat has 9 calories per gram, but eating 3500 calories of fat
(which is less than 400 grams of fat) causes you to gain 500 grams of
weight.  The 9 calories per gram figure reflects the actual energy in
the food.

Regards,
John