POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 22:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Apr 2009 04:48:06
Message: <49e993c6$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 04:41:03 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> I find vi to be completely intuitive.
>
>   You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word "intuitive".

I believe I do have a pretty solid grasp of the English language, Warp.
We've had this discussion before.

>   Intuitive means that its basic operations can be used by someone who
> has never used the program before.
>
>   Intuitive does not mean that you find it easy to use after having
>   years
> of experience.

--- snip ---

intuitive (___________), a. (and n.)
[ad. med.L. intuit_v-us, f. intuitus intuition; cf. F. intuitif, -ive.]
A. adj.
† 1. a. Beholding, seeing. Obs.
† b. Of sight or vision: That consists in direct and immediate looking
upon an object, and sees it as it is. Obs.
† 2. Said esp. of the kind of ‘vision’ or immediate perception ascribed
to angelic and spiritual beings. (See intuition 4.) Obs. (or merged in 3).
3. a. Of knowledge or mental perception: That consists in immediate
apprehension, without the intervention of any reasoning process.
b. Of a truth: Apprehended immediately or by intuition.
c. Of any faculty or gift: Not acquired by learning; innate.
4. Of the mind or reason, or a mental act or process: That acts by
intuition or immediate apprehension; opposed to discursive.
5. Of persons: Possessing intuition.
6. Of or pertaining to the school of moral philosophy that holds the
first principles of ethics to be apprehended immediately or by intuition.
7. Obvious to the senses; directly visible. rare.
B. n. One who works by intuition.

--- snip ---

Now, when I use vi, I don't have to think about the specific commands to
save a file, exit the editor, insert new text, etc.  ie, 3.a., "immediate
apprehension, without the intervention of any reasoning process."

Knowing that pressing ":" is arguably a learned thing, but "w" for write,
"q" for quit, "i" to insert text, "a" to add text - that is pretty
intuitive.

Jim