POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 20:16:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Apr 2009 17:27:56
Message: <49e8f45c@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> Being *slower* than "native" C while compiling down to C is easy. Being
> as fast as C when compiling down to C is tough. Being faster than C is
> (I'd say) impossible if you actually have C as an intermediate language.

Look up Stalin Scheme.  A heavily agressive optimizing compiler for
Scheme that quite a few times generates C code that beats hand written C
code.  If you look at the C source it outputs, you'll be shocked by how
badly it treats C as truly portable assembly.  Lots of structs and loop
unrolls.  Worthy of the name.

It is very slow to compile as it's a whole program compiler performing
many analyses and type inferencing.  It's meant as the very last step in
the development cycle, after all iterative developing, testing and bug
fixing was done and is ready to go production.  Think about that, truly
being able to program in a confortable language without ever thinking on
how to make the compiler happy and getting top-notch fast code without
any tweaks...

OTOH, it doesn't support such niceties of Scheme such as a full-numeric
tower, full-continuations or define-syntax.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9