POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 18:16:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Apr 2009 12:08:29
Message: <49e8a97d$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
>> Windows is far more used than Linux and thus it is expected that most
>> Blender users are also Windows users.
>
> So why not use the normal Windows GUI in the Windows port?

Because the OpenGL interface works on both, unmodified.

>> just to call those "2 lines".  dired mode is only suffering for people
>> who do not take their time to learn how to properly use it.
>
> Most people don't have time to learn all the quirky features of every
> single program, that's why OS standards exist for common operations like
> "show context menu", "save", "select" etc.

OS standards change from OS to OS.

> But if you used Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Paint Shop Pro, Blender, Emacs,
> POV, Visual Studio, some other 3D software etc all regularly and they
> all used different keyboard shortcuts and UIs, would you remember them
> all and be able to work very efficiently?

Seemingly, yes.  I'm a regular user of Firefox, Thunderbird, Blender,
Gimp, vim, Excel, Delphi and MS SQL Analizer.  All of them have many
special quirks and having just 3 or 4 common keyboard shortcuts shared
among them doesn't help that much.

> My point is just use the Windows GUI and standards,
> everyone knows how to use it and it's easier for you as a programmer -
> you can't go wrong.

Not when you want it to be cross-platform and you don't have enough
resources to please specific platform audiences.

> Clever people realise there's no need for it to take as much learning as
> it currently does, and then search for alternatives.

Clever people realize not having 3 or 4 common keyboard shortcuts is a
lame excuse for not learning the other 80 or so specific features and
shortcuts a software might provide.

In the case of text editors, the only true viable alternative to emacs
is vim.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9