POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 16:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Apr 2009 12:16:55
Message: <49e759f7$1@news.povray.org>
scott escreveu:
> wonder how many people use Blender on both Linux and Windows regularly,
> compared to those that only use it on Windows?

Windows is far more used than Linux and thus it is expected that most
Blender users are also Windows users.

>> Why should it use DOS mechanisms when it predates DOS?
>
> Dunno, it's beyond me why they use some crappy text based folder
> navigator that takes 20 years to get to "My Documents", Windows has a
> standard open file dialog that is orders of magnitudes better (it
> includes shortcuts to common and recent folders, plus does the folder
> order the correct way ie starting with Desktop and not a list of
> drives), why on Earth don't they use that? It's like 2 lines of code to
> call it - just completely idiotic not to use it.

"2 lines" of platform-specific C code that will likely require in turn
another hundreds of lines of specific wrappers and type declarations
just to call those "2 lines".  dired mode is only suffering for people
who do not take their time to learn how to properly use it.

> But if every app decided they were "platforms in themselves" you end up
> never remembering how to use any program.

I remember vim very well because I carry it along with me everywhere I
go.  Better than going to a platform and having to use some crappy tool
than going to another and having to learn to use another crappy tool and
so on.  That standard vi way of doing things is a blessing rather than
adapting to the current platform.  I mean, I know to use it really well,
what if I came along, opened it and suddenly every shortcut is different
to please the Windows flavor?  hell, no!

> Really what is the
> disadvantage with Ctrl-S being save instead of Ctrl-W in Blender, apart
> from the fact that "it's always been like that"?

The disadvantage is that it began that way and people learned it that
way and if they change now people will complain.  Legacy software is
always like that.

> At least give the
> option to switch between Standard Windows interface and traditional
> Blender.

I don't think you understand:  Blender's UI is all OpenGL.  If you want
to contribute code to Windows-specific UI then go ahead, sources are
available.

>> Or the user can simply sigh, turn behind and continue using his lowly
>> tools.
>
> Umm, I take it you've never used any commercial 3D software designed for
> Windows?  The first port of Pro/Engineer (commercial 3D CAD software) to
> Windows was just like Blender is today, everyone complained and hated it
> apart from a few die-hard supporters.  Today Pro/E looks and acts like a
> proper Windows application, getting far more approval and take-up from
> the industry than the earlier versions that were widely criticised.

Never heard of it.  Niche tools can indeed do better by going
platform-specific.

> I guess the difference is that the Blender developers have no incentive
> to sell more copies.

I realize now you didn't comment on my comparation with games and their
specific interfaces.

> If it was a commercial operation someone with
> half-a-brain would demand that a default option for standard Windows
> behaviour and dialogs be added, otherwise nobody is going to take it
> seriously apart from the die-hard supporters.

And lazy people who wish to use it if only it didn't take some learning.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9