POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering colors outside of RGB space : Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering colors outside of RGB space
From: scott
Date: 16 Apr 2009 03:06:22
Message: <49e6d8ee$1@news.povray.org>
> Here lies your main issue. The suitable format. For Pov.

For BMP, JPEG, PNG etc I don't think you are allowed negative values so POV
would have to clip them before writing.  I don't know if the HDR formats
allow negative colour values or not.

> If you really want to work in another colorspace, you might want to
> specify some
> information as a spectral sampling

Most functions in POV don't need that information, they don't need to know
what R,G and B actually are at all.  It would be a huge effort and make
rendering really much slower if you were to work on spectral information,
the only gain being things like dispersion being slightly more accurate and
being able to model fluorescent materials correctly.  I don't think it is
worth it.