POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 10:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 15 Apr 2009 18:23:52
Message: <49e65e78@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> I've been using Notepad++ lately, it seems OK.
>> It has context highlighting for a bunch of languages.
>> http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
>>
>> Didn't mice and pull-down menus make Emacs obsolete?
>
> Right.  Here's a challenge for you, copy the query below with your mouse
> and paste it below.  Then compare with the ease of doing the same with
> y}}p on vim.
>
> y} copies (yanks) the following block of text, doesn't matter the size.
>  } goes one block of text below, then p pastes the copy just after the
> cursor.  No, I don't remember how exactly to do it on emacs, but hardly
> different that much and just as easy.

Heres one way to do same with Emacs:

M-h  // mark-paragraph
C-w  // kill-region
C-y  // yank
C-y  // yank

Another way is:

C-space  // set-mark-command
M-}      // forward-paragraph
C-w      // kill-region
C-y      // yank
C-y      // yank

If you are in the middle of a paragraph, these two will give different
results. The first one will copy the whole paragraph, while the last
one will only copy from the cursor to the end of the paragraph.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com