POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 02:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Apr 2009 10:51:44
Message: <49e5f480$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Does anybody know what the hell "C-u 10 C-f" is actually supposed to
>>> mean?
>>
>>     I believe it means to do C-f many, many times. Don't know for sure as
>> I'm not (yet) a real emacs user.
>
> No no, I mean... HOW DO YOU TYPE THAT? What keys is it actually talking
> about?

	Oh come on! This is the lamest of your complaints. If it was written as:

Ctrl-u 10 Ctrl-f

OR

^u 10 ^f

	You'd get it. But C-u 10 C-f? *That's* creating problems for you?

>>     As for kill and yank, do realize that Emacs is old. I'm not sure cut
>> and paste was common editor parlance in those days.
>
> Fair enough. But... pretty strange choice of terms, even if nothing
> existed before.

	No stranger than cut and paste. In emacs, deleting a bunch of text is
the same as putting it into the "clipboard" (kill buffer). So kill makes
sense, because that's really what you may be doing - just deleting text.
Yank simply yanks the text from the kill buffer where you want it.

	Cut? Makes sense for papers, but not for screens.

--
For a while, she had a boyfriend with a wooden leg. Then she broke it off.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl