POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 02:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Apr 2009 10:48:51
Message: <49e5f3d3$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> One feature I actually *want* and that no known editor seems to have is
> the ability to do stuff to tabular data easily. Like, if you suddenly
> decide that you need to append the same piece of text to all 10 lines.

	Emacs can do this. Probably many decent editors can. Define a macro
that does it to one line (and then moves down a line). Then tell it to
execute the macro 10 times.

> Or you have a grid of numbers, and you want to add another column in the
> middle. Or stuff like that. Since Emacs == Lisp, it seems that you could

	You can use rectangular editing to add space for that column. Then just
change from insert mode to overwrite and add in the numbers.
Alternatively, in a separate buffer, type in that column. Then use
rectangular editing to copy that rectangle, and yank it into the text
that you want.

> probably spend 20 minutes writing some code that would do what you want.

	It's an old, old feature.

--
For a while, she had a boyfriend with a wooden leg. Then she broke it off.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl