POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : AOI pattern : Re: AOI pattern Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AOI pattern
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 15 Apr 2009 07:40:59
Message: <49e5c7cb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> However, angle-of-incidence is *by definition* a view-dependent pattern.
> In other words, it changes depending on where the object is looked from.
> That's the very definition of "angle of incidence".

Yes, for the version without a fixed point I'd expect that too,
but you can also specify a reference point which is then related to
the geometry similar to slope. Anyway it would have to be optional
for compatibility with 3.6 (slope) and MegaPOV (aoi). Maybe reuse
the transform keyword: pigment {aoi <5,5,5> transform ...} to
indicate the pattern should be affected by transformations,
only valid for slope and aoi.

Regarding the implementation, I had another look at it and it may
not be so terrible after all: Both the incident ray direction (aoi)
and the surface normal (slope) are already passed to Evaluate_TPat
via the intersection object (although untransformed), and the
information about the transformation should be contained in the
TPATTERN* if I read it correctly, so only local changes in the
pattern function should be required to warp the vectors.