POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2009 04:44:31
Message: <49e59e6f$1@news.povray.org>
>> My God... The Windows native port is a 37 MB download! O_O
>>
>> *dies*
>>
>> I thought SciTE was bad for taking almost 2 MB, but 37 MB for a mere
>> text editor?
>
> Emacs/vi +
> Unix command-line is pretty much a textual IDE, not mere editor -- the
> size is even light in the face of graphical IDEs.  Plus the editor
> component is far more featureful than most IDE's editing component.

OK, fair enough.

>> Not content with merely being a text editor, it also tries to be a
>> newsreader, web browser, file manager, calendar, and even a Tetris
>> clone. Unfortunately, from the screenshots I've seen, it does none of
>> these things very well.
>
> Screenshots don't show functionality.

No, but they do show me that the UI looks utterly horrid.

> Emacs/Unix looks ugly and performs like an athlete.  Notepad/Windows
> looks shiny and performs like a snail.  Hey, if you get a Mac you can
> have awesome visuals + Unix featureful command-line apps.  Best of 2
> worlds! :-D

Heh. So people keep telling me. Pity about the price tag...

(I just bought a shiny new Intel Core 2 Duo laptop. I did look at a
MacBook, but couldn't find anything for anywhere near the price I paid.
And all the MacBooks seem to have utterly horrid keyboards...)

>> Does anybody know what the hell "C-u 10 C-f" is actually supposed to
>> mean?
>
> RTFM?

Have you seen the size of it?

> C-u 10 (do next command 10 times)
> C-f (moves the text cursor (f)orward by 1 char)

Er, no... HOW DO YOU TYPE THAT? What buttons is it actually telling you
to press?

> Hmm, I think I've made my case for these features here before and didn't
> make your mind then, won't be trying it again... you should try to learn
> and actually practice it to see what you was losing all these years
> rather than ask for features and then just rebating and turning such
> features down on such silly arguments as beauty or other non-sense.
> Looks alone don't mean squat for powerful text editing.

A lot of people like Emacs. There must be a reason for that. I'm curios
to know what it is.

A found a blog where somebody asked this very question. A lot of the
answers were things like "it does syntax hilighting" (well, so does
everything now), "you can open a shell from the same window" (well, Kate
does that), and "it's what I've used for years" / "it works the same way
on every platform".

About the most convincing justification I could find was "it has
millions of tiny features that together add up to something special". Of
course, you'd have to use it for 20 years to find out of that's actually
true or not...