POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The source : Re: The source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The source
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2009 04:28:28
Message: <49e59aac$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> No. I imagine they can afford to buy half a zillion completely
>> identical machines, and have a full time staff who's only purpose is
>> to set up a standard machine image and test that it works right, and
>> they then copy that onto every new, identical, machine they buy.
>
> Of course that will only work if you copy the drive images to identical
> hardware, but I have never ever seen a company where every employee has
> the same hardware, not even close.

Really? I thought that's how all the real companies do it.

> By the way, you do realise that the Windows OS install is highly
> configurable?  You can make it silent, add extra drivers, remove
> components, add settings, add service packs and patches etc, add the
> corporate license key etc.

Really? Interesting. As far as I can tell, you can make a file that
presses the buttons and types in the information automatically instead
of you having to do it by hand, but that's about it. And since the
install process doesn't let you configure much, that doesn't get you
very far. (Also, some of these options apparently don't work. E.g.,
setting the administrator password always fails.)