POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The source : Re: The source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The source
From: scott
Date: 15 Apr 2009 03:42:45
Message: <49e58ff5@news.povray.org>
> No. I imagine they can afford to buy half a zillion completely identical
> machines, and have a full time staff who's only purpose is to set up a
> standard machine image and test that it works right, and they then copy
> that onto every new, identical, machine they buy.

Of course that will only work if you copy the drive images to identical
hardware, but I have never ever seen a company where every employee has the
same hardware, not even close.  The needs are usually just so different,
plus people get upgraded at different times, there is always a good mix of
hardware.  Sure, a huge company might have drive images for all the popular
hardware they have, but they always have another method.

By the way, you do realise that the Windows OS install is highly
configurable?  You can make it silent, add extra drivers, remove components,
add settings, add service packs and patches etc, add the corporate license
key etc, you can basically make it however you want and then burn it to make
your own custom installation disc.  That would then just install the OS
exactly the way you want on any hardware without requiring you to watch over
it.