POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: scott
Date: 15 Apr 2009 03:11:00
Message: <49e58884$1@news.povray.org>
>  So in your opinion people who have been using emacs in a unix system
> for 20 years have no right to use the same software in the exact same
> way in Windows?

A simple option to choose between Windows and traditional Unix interfaces
would suffice (the default of course being Windows so that new users don't
get scared off).

Anyway, Windows is not Unix, if you port a program from another platform to
Windows you should at least have to use the standard Windows GUI controls
and keyboard shortcuts.  One thing that is good about *most* Windows apps is
that they all work the same way, Ctrl-C is copy, Ctrl-S is save, they all
use the same Windows dialog boxes, that makes it *easy* to learn and use.
Programs that deliberately don't conform to these standards are just
shooting themselves in the foot because users won't like them.

Look at how many people complain about the UI of Blender and what a steep
learning curve it has.  Do you think it would be as bad if the Windows
version actually looked and behaved like a proper Windows application?
Pressing Space to get the context menu and right button to select, using
some file open/save mechanism from the DOS ages, using Ctrl-W to save, WTF
is that about? - it's a horrendous application running on Windows in terms
of the UI.

>  Btw, saying "I tried emacs once and gave up" is exactly as stupid as
> saying "I tried povray once and gave up".

I think it's the expectation thing, you don't expect to be able to load up a
script-based ray tracer and just get it to work on your first try with no
documentation.  A text editor however, you expect to be able to type stuff,
copy & paste, load save etc without having to read any documentation because
there are OS standardised ways for that stuff for a reason.