POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : AOI pattern : AOI pattern Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  AOI pattern
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 14 Apr 2009 16:58:56
Message: <49e4f910$1@news.povray.org>
I recently ported Mael's AOI pattern from MegaPOV to 3.7, see

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C49d1171e@news.povray.org%3E/

It was rather straightforward and should not cause any trouble,
although it does increase the size of the class "Intersection"
by one 3d vector (ray direction at intersection point).

1. Is there interest to include this in 3.7?

2. If yes, would you like me to provide a diff, or modified
    beta 31 sources (available now), or modified beta 32 source
    files (I would merge them after the windows sources for 32
    become available).

3. If yes, are there licensing issues involved? I suppose
    MegaPOV contributions are intended for ending up in POV-Ray
    when they become popular anyway, but I didn't find anything
    regarding this in the MegaPOV help file.

As an aside, it was noted that the AOI pattern as well as the slope
pattern do not react to transformations in an intuitive manner (the
directional component remains unchanged by the transformation). As
far as I can see, fixing this would require significant changes to
the way patterns are evaluated. But then, of course, I just had a
one day dive in the code before packing for easter holidays ;)