POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The source : Re: The source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The source
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:51:45
Message: <49e4b111$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Still frustrating though. :-P
>
> Installing and setting up any version of Windows manually is
> time-consuming and often frustrating, luckily for most users (who
> install it themselves) they only need to do it very rarely.

I especially like the way it won't just ask all the questions and then
install, or install and then ask all the questions. It has to keep
stopping half way through to ask you something else. That way, you can't
just walk away and come back when it's done. You have to actually stand
over it the whole time.

I also like the way the estimated time remaining bares no relationship
to reality.

> If you are in a position where you have to do this quite regularly for
> lots of machines then you are doing it wrong!  The Windows OS installer
> as you describe is not designed to be used for that situation, there are
> much easier ways!  Do you think every new machine at, say, Ford has some
> IT guy sat there for 2 hours while the OS installs and he then sets
> everything up?

No. I imagine they can afford to buy half a zillion completely identical
machines, and have a full time staff who's only purpose is to set up a
standard machine image and test that it works right, and they then copy
that onto every new, identical, machine they buy.