POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
17 Jun 2024 01:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:36:31
Message: <49e4ad7f$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Don't worry.  I won't evangelize, but the word 'once' is clearly the
>> problem, as
>> in, "I tried running once, but I didn't win, so I gave up."
>
> Why bother when there are easier programs to learn?  Get a proper
> Windows-based text editor that follows the MS style guidelines (ie not
> one that has been "ported" from Linux) and all menus and keyboard
> shortcuts will be totally familiar and require no learning at all to get
> started.
>
> Really, I wish MS would ban software that doesn't at least use the
> standard font, menus, toolbars, dialogs etc.

On the other hand, if you've been using Emacs for centuries, having it
suddenly work all differently just becuase it's on Windows is likely to
be mighty frustrating.

The really Fun Stuff is things like ported Linux programs that assume
that your shell is named /bin/sh and so on. (The Emacs FAQ says that if
you try to open a shell using Emacs on Windows, it bombs for this very
reason.) Really, Windows is very, *very* different to Unix, and just
recompiling the source code is insufficient to fix that.