POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The source : Re: The source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The source
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:26:59
Message: <49e4ab43@news.povray.org>
>> Wouldn't you need a video camera to do that?
>
> Depends on what quality you require.  At the low end just use your
> mobile phone.

Oh yes, how silly of me. I keep forgetting that these days telephones
think they're video cameras...

>> Is there a codec on Earth that would make a video small enough to send
>> by email?
>
> Doesn't matter for us as most of our videos are pretty short (eg just 5
> or 10 seconds), but companies usually have FTP sites or web-based
> document managers for larger files that can be used.

Mmm, true.

>> Technically yes. Anything that involves a computer but doesn't make
>> the company money is strictly speaking prohibited.
>
> Hehe, well you could argue that taking a break to play minesweeper is
> making the company money because you will work more efficiently
> afterwards :-)

I'll have to remember that one! :-D

>> It's just that I would have thought they would make a version of
>> Windows taylored to business use without anybody needing to spend
>> hours reconfiguring it.
>
> The thing is though, any company with more than a handful of employees
> is going to want to customise it somehow because every company is
> different.  I highly suspect that MS has made the defaults suitable for
> very very small businesses, knowing full well that any large companies
> will just totally reconfigure everything before a user gets anywhere
> near the login prompt.

That's just it though. You'd think they would make it so a small
business gets something that Just Works right out of the box. But (for
example) having network file sharing disabled by default doesn't seem
very smart from that PoV.

> Because they don't expect anyone in a business setting to go through
> that manually, and they couldn't be bothered to actively change it for
> the few business people who see it.

Yeah, I guess that's it. Why build a business edition when a large
business can customise it themselves?