POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The source : Re: The source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The source
From: scott
Date: 14 Apr 2009 11:17:16
Message: <49e4a8fc$1@news.povray.org>
> Wouldn't you need a video camera to do that?

Depends on what quality you require.  At the low end just use your mobile
phone, I'm very sure that someone in your company will have one that has
decent video recording quality (mid-high end phones less than a couple of
years old will usually do pretty decent video).

Apart from that, most digital cameras are capable of recording video.  The
one we have here is a couple of years old and can do 640x480x30fps until the
memory card is full - that's enough quality for us.

If you want more then yes, you will probably need to buy a proper HD video
camera, but they're cheaper than just one return flight to Japan (or parts
of the US probably), so it's a bit of a no-brainer to get one if you do this
sort of stuff ever.

> Is there a codec on Earth that would make a video small enough to send by
> email?

Doesn't matter for us as most of our videos are pretty short (eg just 5 or
10 seconds), but companies usually have FTP sites or web-based document
managers for larger files that can be used.

> Technically yes. Anything that involves a computer but doesn't make the
> company money is strictly speaking prohibited.

Hehe, well you could argue that taking a break to play minesweeper is making
the company money because you will work more efficiently afterwards :-)

> Hmm, interesting. Does it also have "simple file sharing" turned on by
> default? (I.e., you can't access network files properly.) Does it pop up
> silly windows saying "ERROR! YOU DON'T HAVE ANY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE!"

I wouldn't know, all that stuff got setup by IT before I used it, including
AV software, VPN, auto-update servers, access to all the network drives,
Outlook configuration etc etc.  When I received it and turned it on, it Just
Worked.

> It's just that I would have thought they would make a version of Windows
> taylored to business use without anybody needing to spend hours
> reconfiguring it.

The thing is though, any company with more than a handful of employees is
going to want to customise it somehow because every company is different.  I
highly suspect that MS has made the defaults suitable for very very small
businesses, knowing full well that any large companies will just totally
reconfigure everything before a user gets anywhere near the login prompt.

> (Just sit and watch the bannar that scrolls past as Windows XP installs.
> It tells you about how Windows now comes with tools to let you chat to
> your friends online, keep your children safe from predators, watch the
> latest DVD movies, and all kinds of other stuff that is completely
> irrelevant in a business setting.)

Because they don't expect anyone in a business setting to go through that
manually, and they couldn't be bothered to actively change it for the few
business people who see it.