POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
17 Jun 2024 00:00:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 10:24:18
Message: <49e49c92$1@news.povray.org>
My God... The Windows native port is a 37 MB download! O_O

*dies*

I thought SciTE was bad for taking almost 2 MB, but 37 MB for a mere
text editor?

But of course, a cursory inspection of the online Emacs tutorial quickly
reveals that Emacs is not, in fact, a text editor. It's a replacement
operating system. (But one which is none the less only compatible with
Unix.)

Not content with merely being a text editor, it also tries to be a
newsreader, web browser, file manager, calendar, and even a Tetris
clone. Unfortunately, from the screenshots I've seen, it does none of
these things very well.

(People may complain that SciTE is primitive, but at least it can manage
ANTIALIASED TEXT. :-P Emacs just looks like an ancient console app
grafted to look superficially like a modern program...)

Does anybody know what the hell "C-u 10 C-f" is actually supposed to
mean? What the heck is a "meta key"? Why are cut and past called kill
and yank? The list of questions goes on and on.

Having used FractInt, I know that a text interface *can* be quite
efficient. But only after decades of use. FractInt, of course, tells you
at almost every step what keys are available. Emacs does not.

In spite of the hiddeous UI and cryptic controls, I might almost have
tried Emacs if it wasn't for the huge size of the download. Clearly I'm
going to have to wait until I get home to try it out - if I bother at all...