POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
25 May 2024 17:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 09:47:44
Message: <49e49400$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes, Notepad sucks. Massively. It fails at the most basic tasks. Then
>> again, if all you need to do is quickly edit some INI file somewhere,
>> Notepad can usually manage that, and it's always available. If you
>> want to do anything more, get a real editor.
>
> I avoid Notepad like the black plague.

Like I said, you can edit text with it, and every Windows PC has it
installed. That's all it has going for it. If you want to do more than
quickly edit one line of text, get a real editor.

> I use Notepad2, which is also
> scintilla-based, free, and has basic syntax highlighting.

I use SciTE, which is also Scintilla-based and does syntax hilighting.
(And XML tag completion, if you can remember how to enable it...)

Also, you can use it without having to "install" anything. Just
download, unzip, and go. (Well... spend 3 days customising and *then* go.)

> I tried Emacs under Windows once. I gave up on it. Vi is something I'd
> rather forget.

A glowing recommendation if ever I saw one...