POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
18 May 2024 14:45:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 14 Apr 2009 09:38:45
Message: <49e491e5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Yes, Notepad sucks. Massively. It fails at the most basic tasks. Then
> again, if all you need to do is quickly edit some INI file somewhere,
> Notepad can usually manage that, and it's always available. If you want
> to do anything more, get a real editor.

I avoid Notepad like the black plague. I use Notepad2, which is also
scintilla-based, free, and has basic syntax highlighting.

Strangely, I like the SDI interface it provides. It's lightweight, but
at the same time much more powerful than notepad.

> I'm just curios to know what makes people think that Emacs (or Vi for
> that matter) is a good editor. I mean, SciTE has configurability, syntax
> hilighting and the ability to invoke external commands, but nobody
> thinks it's a good text editor. So what do Emacs and Vi have that SciTE
> doesn't?

I tried Emacs under Windows once. I gave up on it. Vi is something I'd
rather forget.

--
~Mike