POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
18 May 2024 19:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 09:22:41
Message: <49e48e21$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r wrote:

> I'm into vi myself, so I'll take your question to mean, "Why would you need
> something other than Notepad anyway?"  Really?  I mean, really?  No, seriously?

Well, I actually use SciTE myself - but nobody has ever heard of that.

Yes, Notepad sucks. Massively. It fails at the most basic tasks. Then
again, if all you need to do is quickly edit some INI file somewhere,
Notepad can usually manage that, and it's always available. If you want
to do anything more, get a real editor.

> If you know a good editor well, you can work about as fast as you can think.

I'm just curios to know what makes people think that Emacs (or Vi for
that matter) is a good editor. I mean, SciTE has configurability, syntax
hilighting and the ability to invoke external commands, but nobody
thinks it's a good text editor. So what do Emacs and Vi have that SciTE
doesn't?