POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
25 May 2024 22:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Apr 2009 08:28:07
Message: <49e48157$1@news.povray.org>
My editor of choice is currently SciTE, so let's see how it compares
against this checklist...

> Customizable

Check. (If only it didn't take so damned long to configure each time you
install it...)

> Extensible/Programmable

Well, not so much. You can reprogram the syntax hilighting to handle
some unknown language if it matches a known one closely enough. And you
can program it to run external commands for you (e.g., compile my
program, run this through LaTeX, open XDVI...)

> Ported to many platforms

SciTE runs on both Windows and Linux, and that's all I need.

> Internationalization

Not important to me.

> Runs in both text terminals and GUI environments

Could be useful...

> Many editing modes

...and?

> Self documenting with built in tutorial
> Detailed and well written manuals

Nice, but secondary. It's good to know a tool is easy to learn, but the
question is whether it's *worth* learning in the first place.

> Free and open source

As is SciTE.

> AFAIK notepad is/has none of the above.

Agreed. Notepad fails in many, many basic ways. But SciTE is quite nice
in general.

On the other hand, nobody rants on about how amazing SciTE is, but Emacs
is considered the One True Editor. I'm just trying to figure out why -
and if it's worth trying to use it.

> Try it for a while - and I bet you won't regret it.

Well, I don't know. IIRC, last time I tried to use it, I had to reboot
the computer to exit it.

(Of course, had I known about virtual terminals back then, I could have
just killed it from another vterm... Presumably on Windows it would be
even simpler.)