POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very cool Ubuntu distro : Re: Very cool Ubuntu distro Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Very cool Ubuntu distro
From: scott
Date: 14 Apr 2009 03:55:10
Message: <49e4415e$1@news.povray.org>
>> If you have ever done any windows scripting it should be a piece of cake,
>
>  That seems to be a problem with Windows: It simply doesn't invite you
> to do things by scripting.

Why not, it's really easy, on a fresh OS install you can open notepad,
script away in a DOS-like language, VBscript or JavaScript, save the file
and run it.  If you need help, google will give you millions of examples and
tutorial on how to do stuff, the MS website even has a whole area for it.

>  I have been a regular Windows user for over 10 years, yet I don't have
> the slightest idea about vbscripts nor even how you could even run them.
> Can you run them directly? Do you need some kind of interpreter for it?
> Does Windows support them by default, or do you need to install something?
> I really don't have the slightest idea. I don't even know where to start.
>
>  I have also been a regular Unix user for over 10 years, and I'm somewhat
> fluent in shell scripting. I'm in fact so used to it, that I find a
> terminal
> emulator much more comfortable for browsing and handling files than a
> graphical file browser (even though all linux distros have both).
>
>  I can't say which system I have used more overall, but I think it's
> rather telling that in one system I'm pretty fluent with its scripting,
> while in the other I don't have the faintest idea where to even start
> looking. There is just some fundamental difference in these two systems
> which causes different natural way of thinking.

The key question is, why didn't you learn to script for windows? Is it
because you didn't need to, didn't want to, or weren't able to?  What are
the scripts doing that you have written for Unix? Why aren't they needed on
Windows?